Of Love Songs

  • 0
Few months ago, I went to a talk in Cairo, and one of the speakers talked briefly about love. I might be paraphrasing here but she said, in a research conducted between a love struck person and a mentally crazy person, it showed that their brain scans are the same. In other words, when you are shown with the two brain scans, you cannot differentiate which is which, which pretty much validate the saying 'crazy in love' etc etc.

And this brought us into our real topic today. Love songs (and how unrealistic the songs could be). I think Matluthfi had done a video about this but I seem to cannot find it (perhaps due to copyright issue or something).

So anyway. Yeah. Love songs. I think it's safe to say that majority of the songs existed are about love. I have nothing against love songs (since most of the songs I heard are love songs too) but what irk me sometimes is how unrealistic and illogical the lyrics could be (but perhaps that's just my scientific and logical oriented brain).

Let's start with Bruno Mars' Grenade.
I'd catch a grenade for you (yeah, yeah, yeah)
Throw my hand on a blade for you (yeah, yeah, yeah)
I'd jump in front of a train for you (yeah, yeah, yeah)
You know I'd do anything for you (yeah, yeah, yeah)
I would go through all this pain
Take a bullet straight through my brain
Yes, I would die for you, baby
But you won't do the same
This song basically talks about a man's unrequited love. He's willing to die for her but she's not. Yadda yadda yadda. First, I've read somewhere that why would someone throw a grenade at that girl, unless she's someone worth throwing a grenade at (read: a bad girl). The same goes to the bullet part. Secondly, why on earth you need to jump in front of a train for a girl? If she's strapped/stuck on the rail for whatever reason and that's your idea of saving her, well congratulations. You just increased the casualty count dumbhead.

Next is Bruno Mars' Talking to the Moon.
At night when the stars light up my room
I sit by myself talking to the moon.
Trying to get to you
In hopes you're on the other side
Talking to me too.
Or am I a fool who sits alone
Talking to the moon?
To answer your question, yes Bruno, you are a fool who sits alone, talking to the moon. I can't believe with the development in communication technology, you chose to talk to the moon trying to get to the girl you like. Fine, let's say you live in a world where the internet and telephone haven't been invented yet. Don't you ever heard about doves? I heard they make quite a good messenger. Or you could try smoke signals (I think the main purpose for it is emergency but it is still better than talking to the moon right?)

The last song for this post is Christina Perri's A Thousand Years.

I have died everyday waiting for you
Darling don't be afraid I have loved you
For a thousand years
I'll love you for a thousand more
Peeps, show me a person on this Earth, real or fictional (preferably real, since our point here is to be realistic), who has lived for a thousand year. And Christina, I have only one question for you. How exactly do you die everyday?

I'm sure there are plenty of love songs out there with lyrics that make us go 'whaaat??', so if you have any love song in your mind at the moment that just doesn't make any sense to you, come and share with us. Till then, I'm off to find something to munch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know that you want to.