If You're Wondering If It Is Sexual Harassment, It Probably Is

  • 0
*disclaimer: current post's title is based on this sexual harassment poster*

 Been a while since I last write here. Welp. I guess life has been so and so. Until recently *insert suspenseful music*. I am also shamelessly plugging this post on my IG because a) I don't want to "taint" my IG with this post, b) I hate writing a long caption on IG, and c) I miss writing on my blog. Oh and d) I lazy to layan other comments on IG (I mean, I don't even reply the DMs lol - but I read and appreciate all the kind words).

Let's get one thing straight. I'm not gonna tell you in details of what happened. I don't think it's appropriate to publish it here - or anywhere else, really. And I wasn't harmed in any way. At least physically. And maybe in another world, one can excuse it as an accident. But if you already have some sort of reputation for "accidentally" touching your colleagues, then can you really justify yourself that it is still a harmless act?

Besides, I think I have live long enough and deal with people long enough and watch enough movies/drama to differentiate between an "accident" touch, a friendly touch, or if someone is trying to cop a feel. So boys (and girls), to save your asses, please be mindful of your hands whenever you're in close proximity with the opposite gender. Scratch that. Just be mindful of your appendages if you're with someone else - regardless of gender. And girls (and boys), to save your asses (and boobs, and whole body, really), be extra careful whenever you're with someone else. If you're uncomfortable in a situation, even if you were learning how to do ultrasound scan, just leave.

And please, if you know that your friend was harassed, I hope the first thing that comes out from your mouth is 'are you OK?'. Try putting yourself in your friend's shoes and imagine that you were harassed. You decided to make a report, and so you have to recount the incident - in details - *at least* once. And your friends keep asking you what happened. Hello, don't you think it's traumatic to you? To keep on reliving that moment? Plus, in this social media era where rumours spread faster than a wildfire, I can't help to think that you just want your piece of juicy gossip. So, yeah, now you know why I don't reply your DM.

What should you do if you were harassed by your colleague? Please report it. To the police or to your superiors. Please take action. Because if you keep quiet, nothing can be done. And he might do the same thing to other people. Even if it's your words against his, just make a report. Even if you have a previous victim who is unwilling to speak up, just make a report. At least the authority - be it the police or your superiors - can investigate. At least he knows that there are people out there who are not afraid to report his ass. And hopefully other people will be wary of him.

Anyway, to end this post, I'mma end this post with this poster I googled regarding sexual harassment. Remember, it can happen to anyone, regardless gender. So please, take care of yourself and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know that you want to.